With the conference only 2 weeks away, AAAPC has been busy preparing! Make sure you don’t miss any news including:
- Conference updates (including dinners and new special interest group discussions)
- AGM reminder
- Travelling fellowships update
- New funding opportunities
…And much, much more. Happy reading!
AAAPC Conference Updates
Conference dinners are being held on Thursday 18th of August from 7pm for the Gold Coast, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, and Adelaide. Register to enjoy a delicious meal and to spend some face-to-face time with AAAPC members in your region. Registrations close 5pm Monday 8th August - that's next week, so get in quick!
Information session: How to get the most out of the Conference
Join the Conference subcommittee Wednesday 17th of August from 7pm (after the AGM), to familiarise yourself with the AAAPC conference software. Ask the conference gurus any questions, and feel prepared to ace your presentation! You can join through the conference software. Keep an eye on your email for details on how to join and be sure to carefully read the presenter guidelines on our webpage.
REMINDER for all poster presenters!
Remember to upload your recording through the speaker centre by August 10th (Wednesday next week). To upload your presentation, Login to the Speaker Resource Centre (button below) and click on the 'My Tasks' tab in the top right of the screen, click on the 'Upload your poster and video' link and use the button to upload the files. We look forward to seeing all your posters soon!
Remember to look through the AAAPC 2022 Conference program to help plan out your conference attendance! Program highlights include keynote speaker sessions on Thursday and Friday morning, concurrent speaker sessions covering new primary care research, and prize award ceremony on Friday afternoon where you can hear presentations from the best of the best!
AAAPC Conference Special Interest Group Discussions
AAAPC has three Special Interest Group sessions at the 2022 conference! Join a breakfast or lunch session to meet like-minded peers and to get information on how you can continue to benefit from AAAPC membership all year
- Thursday lunch: Early Career Researchers peer networking through FACEs.
- Friday Breakfast: Primary Health Care education journal club: Burnout in academia
- Friday lunch: How to make AAAPC work for you all year round
AAAPC is offering scholarships to cover annual membership and conference registration! Scholarships are available for both (i) Students; and (ii) and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, and Māori and/or Pacific Peoples. Find out how to apply, and submit an application, via our webpage.
Make sure you have registered to attend the AAAPC 2022 conference online Thursday 18th & Friday 19th of August. Block out the time in your diary for the full two days so that you can get the most out of the jam-packed two days including: inspirational keynote speakers, engaging speaker program, awards ceremony, and spectacular social program.
We would love you to get engaged with AAAPC social media during the 2022 conference! Remember to tag @AAAPC_ANZ and use our hashtags #AAAPC22 and / or #ourprimarycare on twitter.
If sharing screen grabs on social media, please be mindful of conference delegate privacy.
AAAPC 2022 Annual General Meeting
The AAAPC AGM will be held online, on Wednesday 17th of August, from 6-7pm. All current financial members are encouraged to attend. The 2022 AGM agenda can be found here, and was emailed to all members on 3rd of August.
If you are unable to attend the 2022 AGM, please note that you may appoint a proxy, to vote on your behalf.
AAAPC Subcommittee Updates
Ever wondered how to get more involved with primary care research, education, and policy? Join a subcommittee today! Email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org to be linked in to a subcommittee that interests you.
A quick update from the subcommittee chairs about what they have been working on:
- Research, Policy & Advocacy subcommittee will be meeting soon to discuss another call to Australian government about the impact of changes to payroll tax on PIP payments and the impact on teaching medical students. The subcommittee continues to respond to academic primary care policy related issues as they arise.
- Early Career Researcher subcommittee is excited to be hosting an ECR networking lunch on Thursday 18th of August via the AAAPC conference - find more details here. BIG thank you to subcommittee chair Habiba Jahan, for her perseverance and leadership in 2021/22. Habiba is stepping down as chair for 2022/23. If you would like to get involved with AAAPCs ECR support, career building and mentoring, come and get involved! Check out FACEs on our webpage to find out what the ECR subcommittee do, and email email@example.com to get express your interest in either FACEs or the ECR subcommittee.
- Education subcommittee is currently finessing the requirements for the Education travelling scholarship - keep your eyes on the website for application instructions as they will open soon! If you have ideas on how to strengthen primary care education research and practice, please join this subcommittee! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership Engagement subcommittee is continuing to supporting the conference subcommittee to ensure the conference and surrounding events are the best they can be. CONGRATULATIONS and farewell to our subcommittee chair, Belinda Parker. Belinda has an exciting new job opportunity and will be unable to continue in the role as chair. We wish you all the best and thank you for your leadership! If you would like to see more opportunities provided by AAAPC for you and your colleagues, come and get involved in the membership engagement subcommittee. Please get email your interest to email@example.com.
- Conference subcommittee is busy preparing the amazing 2022 conference for you. The subcommittee is working with AAAPC conference partners to ensure the conference online platform and satellite social events are accessible, engaging and most of all FUN! Remember to keep an eye on the website and on our twitter page to keep up with the conference happenings.
Upcoming OpportunitiesSubcommittee chair positions open
AAAPC needs you! Get involved while demonstrating or developing your leadership and mentoring skills through AAAPC. Complete an application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close August 8th. Find out more about out subcommittees on our webpage.
The following subcommittees are looking for a new chair in 2022/23:
- Membership & Engagement: Do you have a passion for communications and events? Are you creative and do you want to steer AAAPC to do things impactful for you and your colleagues? Put your hat in the ring to chair this vibrant subcommittee; email email@example.com for details on how to apply.
- Early Career Researchers: Are you an ECR or MCR in primary care? AAAPC needs you to lead the ECR network and guide AAAPC on the needs of early career researchers. Put your hand up to be chair by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org who will share details on how to apply.
International research funding opportunities
The NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme in the UK has a long-standing collaboration with the Australian NHMRC and advertise joint commissioned calls inviting collaborative international research proposals to address shared research priorities. These collaborative commissioned calls are announced on the NIHR and funding NHMRC websites. There is also opportunity to suggest research topics that could go through the NIHR prioritisation process for future funding consideration. Joint funding applications between the UK and Australia may be one way to provide opportunity and solidify international relationships in primary health care research.
Please contact the Secretariat if you have a research idea and we can put you in touch with the Society for Academic Primary Care (SAPC) in the UK who will assist with facilitating collaboration with NIHR.
Australian primary care specific funding opportunities
A few primary care relevant grant opportunities that may be of interest for you or your team members:
- MRFF Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care grant to support older people to maintain their health and quality of life (particularly streams 1 and 2). Applications close 7 September, 2022.
- MRFF Cardiovascular Health grant opportunity with primary care relevant opportunities, particularly stream 3. Applications close 7 September, 2022.
- MRFF Quality, Safety and Effectiveness of Medicine Use and Medicine Intervention by Pharmacists. Grant opportunity to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians by supporting the safe and effective use of prescription medicines and improving quality of care. Applications close September, 2022.
- MRFF International Clinical Trial Collaborations Grant Opportunity. Grant opportunity to propose a single clinical trial in Australia in collaboration with international counterparts. Applications close February, 2023.
- MRFF Multiple Sclerosis Research Grant Opportunity. Primary care relevant opportunities particularly in stream 4. Applications close February, 2023.
Remember to subscribe to GrantConnect. GrantConnect provides a centralised publication of all forecast and current Australian Government grant opportunities via an online portal. To receive personalised research grant updates, make sure to input your research key words (separated by commas) when you register!
Primary care specific publication opportunities
A few AAAPC members are leading upcoming special issues with a focus on primary care!
Climate Crisis and Primary Health Care, a special issue in Family Practice, is calling for submissions on how primary health care can adapt to changes in disease and illness incidence and prevalence, and preventive and health promotion activity to ameliorate the burden of disease. An outline of accepted formats is available through the link above. Submissions due 1 September 2022. For questions, please email Guest Editor: Dr Liz Sturgiss.
Oral Health in Healthcare, a special issue in Healthcare, is calling for submissions on the role of oral health in the bigger picture of healthcare to bring attention to the relationship between oral and systemic health, and the need for collaboration between oral health and other healthcare practitioners. Full submissions due by 31 October 2022 via the Healthcare portal, with subsequent peer review in the usual manner. For questions, please email Guest Editor: Dr Phyllis Lau.
The AAAPC members noticeboard is a space to post national and international primary care opportunities: jobs, research projects, guidelines and resources – really whatever you like!
In case you missed any posts in June we have seen: An opportunity for two day short course in qualitative design, theory and practice; and a call for research participation around PCOS in general practice.
To get regular updates on noticeboard posts in your emails, subscribe, or navigate to the AAAPC members noticeboard (requires login) and click the subscribe button.
Using the noticeboard is as easy as 1 - 2 - 3!
1. Sign into the AAAPC website and go to the Members Only Section >> Noticeboard
2. Underneath the big blue rectangle there is a ‘Subscribe’ button you can click to to receive regular messages to your inbox.
3. If you would like to leave a message for other members, click the 'Create topic' button underneath the big blue rectangle.
Celebrating AAAPC Members
Congratulations to some of our members on successful publications
- Kylie Vuong and team: Ethical considerations regarding the use of pooled data from electronic health records in general practice. AJGP, July 2022
- Tim Stokes and team: Health Care Home implementation in Otago and Southland: a qualitative evaluation. Journal of primary health care, June 2022.
- Roger Strasser: Beyond rural clinical schools to “by rural, in rural, for rural”: immersive community engaged rural education and training pathways. MJA, June 2022.
- Asvini Subasinghe and team: Why we need a validated tool for measuring knowledge and attitudes regarding long-acting reversible contraception and early medical abortion in women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. BMJ, July 2022.
- Jessica Botfeild and team: Unintended pregnancy among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women: where are the data? MJA, July 2022.
- Liz Halcomb and team: Understanding how general practice nurses support adult lifestyle risk reduction: An integrative review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, June 2022.
- Carolyn Ee and team: A Qualitative Study Exploring Feasibility and Acceptability of Acupuncture, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation for Managing Weight After Breast Cancer. Intergrative Cancer Therapies, June 2022.
- Jo-Anne Manski-Nankervis: Guidelines: innovation needed to overcome barriers to use. Australian Prescriber, June 2022.
This list does not comprehensively include the achievements of all of our members (sorry). Please send me an email at email@example.com when you or another member you know has an achievement that we can all celebrate! Some previous examples include a new PhD completion, publication, or an award. Remember to also tag @AAAPC_ANZ in tweets about achievements in primary care -- we would love to share the joy!
Welcome to New AAAPC Members
We would love to introduce new members in the newsletter - it is a great way to build networks within our community, highlight your areas of research interest and projects you might be working on. If you would like your bio to be published in the monthly newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We are excited to meet you!
Can't wait to see you all at the 2022 conference!